Compiled and written by Richard Beaver-2009
Baccus was originally known as the Cook Cemetery. It was started by Henry Cook, who buried his 17 year old son, Daniel, not far from the newly built Cook cabin with its animal skin for the front door. The date was January 13, 1847. The second burial was that of George W. Martin, son of J.B. and Martha Cook Martin. George was born on April 1, 1849, and died August 17, 1850. George’s mother was Martha Cook, eldest child of Henry Cook and his last wife, Sarah Kincaid Cook. Martha’s little son lies next to his Uncle Daniel.
In time, Henry Cook’s daughter, Rachel Baccus, acquired the land, and in 1878, she deeded it to the heirs of Henry Cook for church and cemetery purposes. In about 1915 the cemetery association changed the name to Baccus Cemetery in recognition of Rachel’s gift of the burial ground and the tract for the neighboring Baccus Christian Church, organized in 1908.
Families buried at Baccus Cemetery which are descended from Henry Cook are the Cook, Heustis, Martin, Dudley, Baccus, Miller, Bishop, and Pearson families. There are many neighboring families as well. One of the last burials is that of Libby Louise Pearson, a sixth generation descendant of Henry Cook. There are about 285 marked graves. A cemetery board is responsible for the cemetery and an endowment fund provides income for maintenance. The cemetery is located 5 miles south of Frisco, 1 mile south of State Highway 121; and 1.3 miles west of State Highway 289. A Texas State Historical Marker stands at the gate.