Dr. Erwin G. Pink
Frisco has lost a beloved physician and a community leader with the unexpected death April 20, 2006 of Erwin G. Pink – known to everyone as “Pink” or “Dr. Pink.” From 1954 until 1985 when Collin County native Dr. Vickie Blackmon Davis joined him in the practice, he was the only doctor in Frisco. He brought many Frisco residents into the world and he often was the person standing by as they left it. He walked the sidelines on each Friday night for decades as the Frisco High School team doctor until he retired from medicine. He served on the Frisco Independent School District’s Board of Trustees from 1955 through 1971, longer than any other board member.
Pink was brought to Frisco in 1954 by community leaders who knew the importance of a community doctor. He replaced a doctor who had been recruited earlier but had developed severe health problems. He and his wife Elisabeth, a former teacher, brought up their children Janet, Suzanne, Philip, and Mary in Frisco. Pink worked with other community leaders to bring business to the community, most notably what is now known as Exide Technologies. He also was instrumental in getting the first community center and park constructed at the site of what is now the Frisco Community Theater building. He also was a partner in a construction company that built affordable houses in Frisco. He was chief of staff at Collin Memorial Hospital in McKinney several times. He was a Little League sponsor and an active member of the Lions Club.
The Pinks shared a love of history and devoted themselves to preserving Collin County history and Frisco’s history. In retirement, Pink served as a founder and president of the Frisco Heritage Association. He worked tirelessly to make sure the history of the small farming town he had moved to in the 1950s was remembered as the town evolved into a modern suburb. At the time of his death he was actively working with city leaders to see that the Frisco Heritage Village became a reality.
Pink had been honored many times in the last few years. He and Elisabeth have an FISD school named in their honor and Pink Field was dedicated earlier this year. He was also honored as a living legend by Collin County Community College.
In lieu of flowers the family requests that memorial be made to the Heritage Association of Frisco, P.O. Box 263, Frisco, TX 75034.